Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Updates on Sean and William

I was just reading an old post, Sean's Future In a Trenchcoat. I am relieved to be able to say that we don't have this issue with him anymore. That was at the beginning of his kindergarten year, and now we are halfway through first grade. He seems to have outgrown this problem.
William, on the other hand, is now halfway through the fifth grade, and can be counted on to appear in the nude at just about anytime. I sure hope he grows out of it, but he is going very slowly. He has been known to get past issues and have them resolved, but the overcoming of one problem takes him a very long long time, years, typically. They call it a delay, they call it slowness. What this means to me in my hopeful heart is that he will get there, someday. He just isn't going to get there at anyone else's pace. I'm glad this isn't a race, because he will probably come in last. But in a case like this, the important thing is not to get to the finish line first, but just to finish the race.

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog Jane. Keep writing!! I know from MY experience, you can talk about it and tell people about it...but when you write it down...it is powerful!! Not only does it help you cope, but it gives you hope too! I guess it's venting!! You have a wonderful way with words!! I see a book in the future that will help other families dealing with Autism. A disease that is so misunderstood, as well as a myriad of other disabilities! You have my utmost respect and love. Don't stop....keep up this good work!

    ReplyDelete